Tuesday, January 18, 2011

All Aboard the Hibernation Station

To finish up our unit on Winter/Seasons, I am having my substitute complete the following activity after reading Hibernation Station by Michelle Meadows. If you don't own this book, you need it! I adore the vibrant illustrations and the fun of going on a little rhyming adventure with a bunch of animals who are about to hibernate. I also love that there are so many animals in the book that are getting ready for winter and the author adds an author's note to the end of the book to explain hibernation and 'true and light' hibernators.

My students will be creating a mini-book of animals that hibernate. I like for them to have little books that are meaningful to them that they can grab from their book boxes and re-read to themselves. To add a little extra literacy element to our book, I left off the beginning sounds of each animal name so the kids could write them in.  I still have several kids that struggle with beginning sounds, so this is just a reinforcement.




Click here or on the arrow in the right corner below to view and download this file.


2 comments:

  1. This is so cute. I hope you don't mind that i downloaded it for my grandchildren. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Thank you for sharing. I'm an elementary school librarian and plan on using this with my TK- K classes.

    ReplyDelete