Welcome to Lil' Country Librarian

Lil' Country Kindergarten is a blog devoted to assisting early childhood teachers and parents in finding resources quickly and inexpensively. You will find lesson plans, classroom tips, resource links and printables that will make teaching easier and more meaningful for your students. I hope you enjoy your visit. Please come back soon!

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Those pesky numbers 11-20!!!

Every year, it's the same thing. The numbers 11-19 just don't fit the same rhythmic pattern that the numbers before and after seem to fit. I just finished testing number recognition (numbers in isolation) from 0-20 and the majority of the kids that were struggling weren't able to get 11-19. The most common mistake is calling the numbers with 'ty' at the end. For example, 12 is twenty, 13 is thirty, 14 is forty, etc.

Last year, I attended a math workshop in which the presenter was more than willing to seek out resources to help us meet our grade level expectations in any area we needed a little assistance. She sent me the following book and I sooo wish I would have remembered before I started teaching numbers 11-19. Now that I know exactly who is struggling, which happens to be 8 of my 22 students, I'm going to work with them in a small group to make sure they get these numbers memorized. Hopefully this book will help.

Here's a link to the mini books I'm going to use. There is a 7-day free trial.


We are also using HeidiSongs Jumpin' Numbers 11-30 DVD this year. We adore the number 17 Chicken Dance Song. :)

Do you have any fabulous ideas for teaching 11-19?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips